Blood and Short-Tail Pythons Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood and Short-Tail Pythons Forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Humidity for Bloods

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
2kdime

2kdime

Humidity for Bloods Empty
PostSubject: Humidity for Bloods   Humidity for Bloods I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

This has always been a fun topic

What's everyone keep their humidity at?

Do you implement a soaking program?
Back to top Go down
bwt501

bwt501

PostSubject: Re: Humidity for Bloods   Humidity for Bloods I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Room humidity goes from around 60% in summer and down to 30% or below in winter. I dont use any supplemental humidification but i will bump it up in the days before a shed by misting or tipping their water bowl. Whenever i clean tubs i dont get crazy about drying them thoroughly so i put the kraft paper down while the tub is slightly damp. my adults are in ARS racks and they dont hold humidity well, but i prefer that. I feel that enclosures with constant high humidity with limited ventilation are incubators for bad stuff. The bloods spend most of their time under the thick paper where the humidity is greater than the room ambient anyway just by way of their respiration. Those that dont go under the paper have hung out for weeks at very low humidity during the winter without any ill effects. I dont have a soaking program, but i will soak them as a means to bathe them after they wallow in a big piss or go cruising through their poop. I think weekly soaks would be beneficial, but i wouldnt know where i would find the time to run through the collection.
That being said, if i really could i would ideally like to have them at 50-60% year round just for the shedding and scale dimpling issues. I(knock on wood) havent seen any respiratory issues as a result of the drier air.
Back to top Go down
2kdime

2kdime

PostSubject: Re: Humidity for Bloods   Humidity for Bloods I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Im keeping mine in the 60-70% range year round

Seems no matter what I do though, their scales look weird.

Only ones who's scales look the best are the ones who like to soak

Makes me think I'm still too dry

Back to top Go down
Jerry Sahloff

Jerry Sahloff

PostSubject: Re: Humidity for Bloods   Humidity for Bloods I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Like I mentioned on Facebook, I have a 55 gallon fish tank and a 40 gallon snapping turtle tank in the room that keep humidity at 45-60% year round. I don't use the tub-and-rack systems that many do, I like to be able to see my snakes so I keep them in well ventilated glass and/or acrylic cages. Smaller ones are housed in ten gallons with mesh tops on them.

I use paper as a substrate and for higher humidity areas I add two Sterilite hide boxes stacked over the heating source so one is warmer and one is cooler. The boxes are half filled with damp sphagnum moss and 90% of the time the snakes deposit their stools and urates in the hide boxes, which makes cleaning a lot easier.

I don't soak them at all, other than those that can fit into their water dishes. I will spray them off in their feeding tubs and wipe them down if they have feces, urates or blood (from a rodent) on them.
Back to top Go down
http://BlueBloodPythons.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Humidity for Bloods   Humidity for Bloods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Humidity for Bloods
Page 1 of 1