Blood and Short-Tail Pythons Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood and Short-Tail Pythons Forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Animals going off food?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
2kdime

2kdime

Animals going off food? Empty
PostSubject: Animals going off food?   Animals going off food? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Anybody ever have either males or females go off food?

We all know these guys are enthusiastic feeders.....

Ive just got some animals that are getting some years on them and really into their "prime" so to speak and have a lone male not interested in food

Girls on the other hand you'd think I was starving them

I know it happens a lot with Balls, but Bloods?

Last 2 years all my animals kept up on the food.....
Back to top Go down
bwt501

bwt501

PostSubject: Re: Animals going off food?   Animals going off food? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:09 am

I have a couple of males that definitely are off their feeding routine this time of year. They probably want to be off food but I can usually trick them into taking the small meals I want them to have during breeding season. These males usually explode out of the tub at a F/T on tongs without hesitation. Lately these guys show no interest but I can solicit a strike by annoying the heck out of them or heating the rat up with a hair dryer. So if I really just stuck to my normal method of offering, yeah these guys are off food. Reason being is a horny male has to be mobile. In the wild they can't be bogged down coiled up in a corner for a week digesting a meal. The window of opportunity to hook up is short and they got be be cruising to find some lovin. I think with balls the case is that where they come from half of the year is so harsh and devoid of prey that they shut down just so they don't waste the energy looking for food that just isn't gonna be there anyway.
Back to top Go down
Tim Mead

PostSubject: Re: Animals going off food?   Animals going off food? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Its not uncommon with the experienced lady killers :-) Had a male burm that would not eat 5 months of the year.. The first chill switched him into another gear..With our males being the coolest temp we won't offer feed for a while unless theres a condition to warrant such..As of now their all active paper shredders and new paper/waterbowls don't last long..Got a male/Jethro that will combat me if I've messed with other males first, quite entertainng..As long as we keepem easy on the nose we're all good..
Back to top Go down
2kdime

2kdime

PostSubject: Re: Animals going off food?   Animals going off food? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Yeah I figured that's all it was Tim as he has a season under his belt already.

Light cycles have been getting changed here pretty steadily and with only another month to go before pairings, I know they are all getting pretty ramped up.

Guess I should just let them do their thing and listen to them rather than me tell them what I want them to be doing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals going off food?   Animals going off food? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animals going off food?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Blood and Short-Tail Pythons Forum :: General Care and Husbandry :: Breeding and Incubation-
Jump to: